Cook with Meg
Meg's Favourite Kitchen Tools
A list of some of our most common tools used in classes.
Meg's Favourite Kitchen Tools for Use in Cooking and Baking Classes
When you receive a Cook with Meg class recipe, we have a section called "tools", as opposed to a full list of every single item you will touch in class. Please have the basics on hand- bowls, measuring cups, spoons, spatulas, but below we've listed a more comprehensive list here, so you can take a peek through your kitchens and be ready to go!
- The Food Substitutions Bible - David Joachim (via Amazon)
Cooks need information on how to substitute ingredients -- often in a hurry. This expanded, updated and revised edition of the IACP-award-winning reference puts even more useful cooking information at the fingertips of home cooks. This reissue is perfectly timed as the perfect companion to the new, second edition of The Cook's Essential Kitchen Dictionary.
- KitchenAid Cordless/Wireless Electric hand mixer
- KitchenAid stand mixer
- Cuisinart White Food Processor
- Salton Power Blender
- Nordicware Baking Sheet - 3 pack
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler - the BEST veggie peeler around!
- Ground Meat Separator from Epicure
- Kitchenaid manual Can opener
- Silicone Spatula 3 Pack
- Bench Scraper- Basics from Amazon
- Pastry Cutter + Bench Scraper combo - Amazon
- Heat Safe/Deep Fryer Candy Thermometer- Amazon
- Set of 2 Wooden Rolling pin - marble, wooden, doesn’t really matter
- Silicone pastry brush Set of 4 + spatula
- Starfrit Pump & Slice Chopper (Safe Mandolin)
- Kitchen Scale (precision coffee scale, used for all ingredients)
- Paper towel, dishcloths, dry kitchen towels
- To fit a Half Sheet Pan (regular cookie sheet)- 200pcs Parchment Paper Sheets 12x16 inch (9x13 Optional) Heavy Duty
- To fit a Quarter Sheet Pan (small cookie sheet) - Kana 12 1/4" x 16 1/4" Rectangle Parchment Paper -140 Pre-Cut Sheets
- Mini Muffin Tin
- 12 x 2 non stick Deep Dish Pizza Pan
- 12 x 3 inch aluminum round cake pan that could also be for pizza -Chicago Deep Dish Pizza!
- 8x8 baking dish- glass, ceramic or metal
- 9x13 baking dish with lid- OXO glass (you can also use ceramic or metal)
- 9 or 10 inch Deep dish pie plate (this would mean it has nice high sides, to accommodate the crust and filling. A great alternative if you do not have a deeper dish pie plate would be to use an 8x8 dish
- Angel Food Cake Pan- We will be using one in week 1. An Angel Food Cake pan is different from a bundt pan as it has straight high sides and a non-stick surface because the cake needs to climb. If you do not have one you can certainly borrow one! There are also MANY brands out there starting at around $15 on Amazon + Canadian Tire, and we’ve attached the link above to the one Meg uses from Amazon (again brand does not matter)
BAKING SHEETS/COOKIE SHEETS
*Meg normally uses a HALF sheet pan in classes
- Sheet Pan 3 pack set - Nordicware
- Quarter sheet pans are typically 9x13 inches (a standard size for sheet cakes) -Nordicware
- Half sheet pans are 18x13 inches (this is the size of most standard pans when described simply as baking sheets- Nordicware)
- Full sheet pans are 26x18 inches (too big to fit in many home ovens, but the standard commercial size).
*Some of these links take you to Amazon where Meg purchased her items. Through the Amazon Affiliate program, a very small percentage of each sale is received by Cook with Meg which helps us support future programming. Much appreciated!