This is one of the yummiest dressings ever. Tangy, sweet and packed full of flavour. Such a nice twist on a sauce to drizzle over spinach salads, or in this case roasted fall veggies.
warm bacon dressing over roasted root veggies
- Frying pan
- Medium saucepan
- Sheet pan
- Tin foil
- Non Stick Spray
- 4 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 small shallot diced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ⅔ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- pinch of pepper to taste
- pinch of salt to taste
- 3 medium beets peeled and quartered
- 4 carrots peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 onion cut into large chunks
- 1 clove of garlic
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp olive oil just make sure to coat everything liberally in oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
LET'S ROAST THE VEGGIES
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Peel and chop the veggies and put them all into a large bowl.
- Add olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Spray a tin foil lined cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
- Scatter onto sheet pan/cookie sheet into one even layer.
- Place into the oven and let roast for 30 mins.
- Take out, toss the veggies a bit, as you will start to see caramelization happening.
- Roast until they are fork tender, about 35-45 mins
LET’S MAKE THE DRESSING
- Peel and dice the shallot.
- Cut your bacon strips into small chunks with a knife or clean kitchen scissors.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, cook the bacon until a little crispy, then drain most of the fat and take the bacon pieces out to rest on a paper towel lined plate. You can then move the bacon pieces to a little bowl.
- Reserve about 1 tbsp of the bacon fat in the frying pan and add the diced shallots, cooking them for about 2 minutes on medium until they’re translucent (clear) and softened. Take out of the pan, and add to the bacon bowl.
- In a medium saucepan add all the salad dressing ingredients and whisk together until the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Keep whisking until the dressing starts to look glossy.
- Taste. Adjust seasonings if needed. Feel free to make sweeter if you wish.
- Add the bacon and shallots to the saucepan, then switching to a spatula, stir again, taste again, adjust seasoning then serve warm over the roasted veggies.
Want more dinner ideas, AKA din-spiration?
Did you love Warm Bacon Dressing + Roasted Root Veggies?
Try our new Taco Tuesday Dip and Chips the next time you want a yummy appetizer!
SOO GOOD! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!