Tres Leches Cake. Have you ever tried? My love affair with it started in 2015 but it has been around a LONG time. My husband Wade and I got married at Dreams Riviera Cancun in Mexico and this was our beach wedding cake. Spongy, light, airy cake…that gets DRENCHED in three kinds of milk then covered in whipped cream. Berries optional. Wait. WET CAKE? Trust me on this. You need to try it to fully experience HEAVEN. This is the real deal…trust me, you will be asked for the recipe the MOMENT your friends and family take their first bite!
Here’s the fun part with this cake. Once you make it you’ll be hooked and so will your friends and family. It’s actually the perfect cake to make because you can do a lot of the cake and topping portion the morning of or even the night before. Then the day you want to eat the cake, all you need to do is make the whipping cream and add the berries!
Once the cake cools…
We immediately drench it in milk. Not one, not two but three milks! Tres Leches!
- Heavy Cream (I shortcut this and use 2% which honestly is FINE)
- Evaporated milk
- Sweetened condensed milk
There it is. Be sure to share YOUR pics with us in the COOK WITH MEG KITCHEN group on Facebook! You can also tag me @Tuckermeg on Instagram! Thanks so much to Alberta Milk for this class! ALWAYS AMAZING!
Tres Leches Perfect Dessert
- This class will need a stand mixer OR electric hand mixer
- You'll also need a few bowls (dry, wet, egg whites, soak)
- Spatulas, whisks
- 9×13 baking dish
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 eggs separated
- 1 c granulated white sugar
- 1/3 c milk (I used 2%)
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
TRES LECHES SOAK
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 300 ml can works!
- 1 can evaporated milk whole or 2% works!
- 1/4 c milk 2% works perfectly
- 2 c whipping cream HEAVY or 33% or 35% or 36% (just needs to be whipping cream)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp white granulated sugar **You don't want this to be super sweet at all
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 9×13 pan with non stick spray. This is a big cake, so make sure you have a 9×13.
- In a bowl, mix together your flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine then set aside.
- In another 2 bowls, separate your eggs (if you're using a stand mixer, you can add your yolks to this bow). Place your WHITES bowl off to the side for now.
- In the bowl with your egg yolks, add 3/4 c sugar and beat with either a stand mixer or electric hand mixer until they are pale yellow. Add 1/3c milk and vanilla and just mix long enough to combine, then add your flour mixture and mix to combine. Do not over mix. Set aside.
- In your whites bowl, slowly add 1/4 c sugar while beating on high, then mix until the whites are STIFF peaks. AS in, could you turn the bowl upside down and it wouldn't fall on your head stiff. This will take a while – so be patient!
- Fold egg whites into the batter gently, just until combined. It should be light and puffy and almost cloud like. It's glorious. Gently pour batter into baking dish.
- Smooth it all out and make sure there are no big air bubbles.Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Now you want to let totally cool on a cooling rack. Do NOT panic when it falls. It comes out looking LARGE and In charge then almost immediately falls, but this is FINE. Once it's totally cooled, poke holes all over the cake, GENTLY with a fork.
- In yet another bowl *this is a cake of many bowls* combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and 2% milk until mixed together. Slowly pour this milk mixture over the whole cake, SLOWLY. You want to let it all soak together…and soak in.
- Cover the cake in plastic wrap and pop in fridge for AT least a few hours before you plan to eat – you can even do overnight.
- THIS PART CAN BE DONE RIGHT BEFORE YOU EAT THE CAKE: MAKE YOUR WHIPPED CREAM – whipping cream, vanilla, sugar, salt and whip until somewhere between soft and stiff peaks. When you're ready to serve the cake, lather this ALL over the top, then shake some cinnamon all over too! Serve with strawberries, or JUST A FORK AND A PLATE! Enjoy xo Happy "VACATION"!
For MORE fun recipes and amazing milk resources, please check out our friends at ALBERTA MILK.