What happens when you merge an amazing taco with a pasta salad? You get the creamiest, crunchiest, savoury salad you will ever taste, flavours around every corner! This is a complete meal, with lots of leftovers! **TIP: Served best warm!
taco tuesday im-pasta salad
- Pasta pot
- Cutting board
- Medium saucepan
- Mason jar or container to hold the onions
- 2 cups dry pasta with nooks and crannies fusilli, farfalle/bowtie, rotini
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 small can drained black beans look for a can that’s around 398ml
- 1 red or yellow or orange pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream or greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp honey you can adjust the sweetness
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp vinegar any type, except balsamic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion – we will be pickling it and you’ll have leftovers you can store in a mason jar
- A handful cilantro chopped if you enjoy it
- 2 cups shredded cheese any kind OR 1 small brick of feta, crumbled if you prefer
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips – plain or flavoured take your pick!
COOK THE PASTA (and frozen corn if that’s what you are using)
- Cook your pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package timing.
- If you are using FROZEN corn, throw your corn into the pasta water in the final 2 minutes of cooking.
- Drain everything in a colander and toss with a little olive oil, then set aside to cool
LET’S PICKLE THE ONION
- In a medium saucepan, add your slices of onion, vinegar, water and sugar
- Bring to a boil then take off heat and pour into a bowl to rest for as long as you can stand.
LET’S PREP THE VEGGIES
- Chop the peppers into a small dice
- Chop the cucumber into a small dice
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into small pieces
LET’S MAKE THE DRESSING
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice, sour cream, mayo, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, lime juice, brown sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper
- Let it all hang out while we cook the beef
LET’S COOK THE MEAT
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground beef (or turkey, chicken or VPS) until it’s completely cooked through and crumbly
- Drain any excess fat or juice and cook another minute
- Sprinkle on seasonings and then let cook another minute
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed
- Squeeze in a little lime juice and give it one more stir, then take off the heat to cool slightly
BUILD THE SALAD!
- In a very large bowl, let’s add the pasta, the veggies, then pour on the dressing and toss together. Sprinkle with cheese, pickled onions, corn chips and finally the ground meat (you can leave this part warm, and eat right away)!
want more din-spiration?
Need another recipe for the next taco Tuesday? Taco Tuesday Tot Casserole!
SOO GOOD! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!