Super Saucy Spaghetti Pie, as featured on Season 1 of my kids cooking show Just One Bite. A twist on the everyday classic of spaghetti and meat sauce that will have everyone asking for more!
Super Saucy spaghetti pie
It’s always fun to put a twist on the every day classic. What about taking spaghetti, then making it into pie format? Add a whisked egg and some parmesan cheese to bind it together to form a crust. Then press into a pie plate, then fill your layers like you would a pie! The pie filling is your meat sauce, then your cheese topping is…well, the cheese topping! Slices like pie, tastes like spaghetti!
For a VEGAN option, add lentils and ground mushrooms to help bulk up your sauce. TOTALLY your choice which veggies you’d like to use!
For a Dairy Free option, use DF cheeses, you can also skip the ricotta layer entirely.
Super Saucy Spaghetti Pie
- 3 c cooked spaghetti (about 6 oz)
- olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef any ground meat, meat substitute would work (lentils, mushrooms, etc).
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 red pepper all peppers work (also optional)
- 1 jar fave pasta sauce
- 1 small container of ricotta optional (cottage cheese works too). YOU can skip this layer entirely if you prefer!
- 1/2 c parmesan cheese shredded, grated, all work!
- 1 c shredded cheese (1 for ricotta layer, 1 for spaghetti layer)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp parsley You can also add basil, etc.
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. **Your spaghetti should be cooked ahead of time and just resting (can make overnight and put into the fridge)
MAKE THE SAUCE LAYER
- Cook ground beef in large frying pan on medium high heat until browned with olive oil, diced onions, red pepper, salt/pepper. Mix in jar of sauce and let simmer. *add a pinch of sugar if you want to add a little sweetness *also helps break up the acidity.
MAKE THE RICOTTA LAYER
- In a separate bowl, mix ricotta and 1 egg, salt, pepper, 1 tsp parsley or basil (this ingredient is also optional). Set aside.
MAKE THE "CRUST" LAYER
- Combine pasta with 1 egg, 1/2 c parm and salt/pepper. Stir together until incorporated.
BUILD THE PIE
- Spray a pie plate with non stick spray. Pour in your spaghetti mixture and press into the plate, just like you would with a pie crust. Using your hands, bring the spaghetti up to form the walls of the pie crust, almost creating a "nest".
- Spoon in your ricotta/egg layer spreading it all over the spaghetti until it's a nice even, thin layer.
- Then spoon in your pasta sauce until it almost reaches the top. *you might have extra, perfect, now you have dinner for another night! Do not add SO much sauce that it's a lake in the middle, but you want to nicely cover the ricotta layer.
- Once your meat/sauce layer is added in, just like a pie "filling", top with shredded cheese and if you want to shake on some additional parm you can.
- Bake 350 until golden and bubbly on top, about 30-40 mins! Check to see if that's enough time. As all ovens vary you might even need to let it cook for another 15-20 mins. You want it to be golden, bubbling and cooked through. Let cool/set up for about 10 minutes before you slice and enjoy!