There are MANY versions of this pie, that involve Jello, or gelatin and Cool Whip. We wanted to try one using a few more traditional ingredients, with a similar end result. This pie is SUMMER IN A PIE PLATE, please make it soon!
strawberry pretzel pie
- 9 or 10 inch deep dish pie plate or an 8×8 baking dish
- Stand mixer or electric mixer
- Food processor or large storage bag with rolling pin
- 1 cup softened butter salted or unsalted
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups pretzels crushed to about 1.5 c of powder food processor or storage bag and rolling pin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ blocks cream cheese softened Equals about 1.5 cups of cream cheese
- 1 ½ cup very cold heavy whipping cream 33%, 35% or 36% MF
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and grease the inside of a 9-inch, deep pie dish (or 8×8 pan) with 1 tbsp of butter and set aside.
MAKE THE CRUST
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat the 1 cup soft butter, plus ½ cup powdered sugar, on low until everything is super creamy and blended together.
- Add your pretzel powder/flour + flour then turn the speed up on our mixer and continue to blend this until it becomes a dough – this will take a couple minutes.
- Get all the dough pressed into a greased pie plate and up the sides if you're using the pie plate. **If you're using an 8×8, you'll most likely just get the bottom covered.
- Bake until the crust is slightly puffed and deep golden brown in colour, somewhere between 12 and 15 mins. We find 14 seems to work.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the filling. If the crust has puffed slightly, take the back of a teaspoon and gently press the hot crust down a little, just be careful you don't press too hard. Let the crust to fully cool.
LET'S MAKE THE FILLING
- In a large bowl or bowl of the stand mixer, add your 1.5 bricks/blocks (1.5 c of softened cream cheese) + 1.5 c powdered sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla and blend until super creamy and smooth. Set aside, or if you're using the same bowl to make the whipped cream, take this cream cheese mixture out and into a smaller bowl.
MAKE THE WHIPPED CREAM
- In a large bowl, or stand mixer bowl, add your 1 1/2 c of heavy whipping cream and whip to stiff peaks.
- NOW IT'S TIME TO COMBINE THE CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE with the WHIPPED CREAM. Add one bowl into the other and blend, until it's a creamy duo.
LET'S ASSEMBLE THE PIE
- Transfer to the cooled crust and spread in an even layer. Now we need it to get to the fridge or even freezer to “set” before we add the berries on top.
- Pile the strawberries on top of the pie. Chill the whole pie until you’re ready to dig in!
want more din-spiration?
Looking to use more strawberries? Simple Strawberry Shortcake!
SOO GOOD! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!