So Much Fun Souffle Puffy Pancakes!
What happens when you take beautiful eggs, then separate the whites from the yolks. Whip those whites into a meringue then fold into pancake batter? You get mile high so much fun souffle puffy pancakes!
Souffle Puffy Pancakes
- frying pan
- Electric beaters or Stand Mixer
- Lid for frying pan
- Sieve if you have one!
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp milk just not skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbsp a neutral oil to grease the pan canola, grapeseed, etc
- 1 little bowl of water, about 2-3 tbsp for steam
- PANCAKE TOPPINGS: Maple syrup, butter, whipped cream, berries, chocolate chips, coconut, get creative!
SEPARATE THE EGGS AND MAKE A MERINGUE
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks into two different bowls.
- BOWL 1: Add milk and vanilla to the egg yolks and whisk until they're pale yellow and frothy
- Using a sieve, sift the flour and baking powder and pinch of salt into the egg yolks. Whisk it all together until there are no lumps. Set aside.
- BOWL 2: With an electric mixer, stand mixer or whisk (and muscles), begin to whisk the egg whites until they form together. Then keep whisking until they start to get thicker. Slowly add sugar once they begin to show peaks and continue for a few more minutes until they're nice and stiff and glossy. Set this bowl aside.
HEAT THE FRYING PAN on the VERY lowest setting, wiping with oil on a paper towel, so nothing will really stick
INCORPORATE THE WHITES to the YOLKS
- This is the part where we FOLD. Slowly, a little at a time. We don't want to "undo" all our hard work.
- Once it's folded all together, we can start to make 3 pancakes at a time, or even 1 to start!
LET'S MAKE PANCAKES!
- Very carefully, we want to spoon one big spoonful down into the frying pan, again on low (around 150 celsius). Let it cook for a minute or so, then we add another spoonful to add a little more height.
- Then carefully we can add a tbsp of water to the pan, and put the lid back on, to create steam, to help them puff up. At the 2-3 min mark, we can lift the lid, then add one more spoonful. Then we can set the timer for another 3 mins or so. Lid back on! Remember we are going for height, not width.
- At about 6 mins total, you can lift the lid and VERY carefully flip the pancake without smushing it. Repeat over the next half hour or so and enjoy!
want more din-spiration?
Wanting something just as AMAZING as these fun puffy pancakes? Check out the delicious Sheet Pan Egg + Sausage Dinner! Both of these would be awesome ANYTIME of day choices, using EGGS! Meg xo
Want more cooking and baking? Head to our CLASSES section to see all the different online options! We have LIVE classes via ZOOM on weekdays and weekends for KIDS and TEENS (if you miss a class, simply grab the recording). We have specialty themed classes, mini camps and COOK WITH MEG merchandise is coming! Finally, check out our digital COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that each come with a workbook and 4 recipe videos so you can cook with Meg completely on your schedule! I can’t wait to see you back again! You can also check out my great friends at Egg Farmers of Alberta, for ALL things eggs! #efa