This Pumpkin Sauce Pasta is such a nice twist from a traditional tomato based sauce. The warm spices blended with cream and butter and pumpkin puree bring fall to the table, in a super delicious way!
PRO TIP: Feel free to pan fry chicken to add to your pasta too, just cook the chicken with the onion, garlic and spices.
pumpkin sauce pasta
- Pasta pot
- Medium saucepan
- 2 cups uncooked short pasta – cook to package directions Penne works great!
- 2 tbsp butter salted or unsalted
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ small onion minced
- 1 clove garlic minced, or ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground sage you could also use 2 small fresh sage leaves, finely minced
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar white or brown
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup whipping cream
TOPPERS AND OPTIONALS
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- cooked chicken breasts
LET'S MAKE SOME SAUCE
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in sage, cinnamon, sugar and salt, then whisk in the chicken broth, and bring to a boil to reduce by almost half. We really want to concentrate the flavours.
- Whisk or stir in the pumpkin puree and allow sauce to come to a simmer, then add maple syrup. In the last few minutes, stir in the cream then adjust seasonings as you see fit.
- Add 2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese to the sauce, then reserve the rest to garnish each dish once plated.
- Simmer until you’re ready to toss with pasta .
COOK YOUR PASTA
- Cook your pasta in a large pot of rapidly boiling salted water, according to package details.
NOTE: When you cook your pasta, reserve about 1/2c of the pasta liquid to thin out the sauce if it needs it!
- Toss your sauce with your pasta.
PLATE YOUR PASTA!
- Serve each dish with plenty of pasta and sauce, optional chicken breasts and a healthy sprinkle of fresh parmesan cheese. ENJOY!
Want more dinner ideas, AKA din-spiration?
Wasn’t Pumpkin Sauce Pasta delicious? Try our Alfredo Stuffed Shells! SO GOOD!
SOO GOOD! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!