Shepherd’s Pie. Cozy, comforting with a twist. Creamy mashed potatoes blanketing corn and carrots with a delicious ground chicken filling.
TOOLS + INGREDIENTS for Shepherd’s Pie
Skillet or 9×13 baking dish
Next Level Shepherd’s Pie
- ALL THE BASICS +
- Large skillet or 9×13 pan
FOR THE POTATO LAYER
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/2 c half and half or whipping cream
- 2 tsp dried dill (OPTIONAL)
- salt and pepper to season
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn niblets
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 medium onion, small dice (even a mince) You can grate your onion too, if you don't want chunks
- 2 stalks celery, small dice
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Knorr homestyle chicken broth pod (or 1 OXO cube)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp savoury seasoning or poultry seasoning
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 350F
LET'S MAKE THE MASHED POTATOES
- Peel and cut your potatoes then boil in a large pot of water, adding a small handful of salt to the water. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and leave in pot, add 1/4 c butter and ½ c cream, salt and pepper to taste, mash then leave them covered.
LET'S COOK THE MEAT LAYER
- In a large frying pan, melt 1 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of oil and fry your chopped onions and celery, for about 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add the ground chicken and continue to cook through until everything is crumbly and caramelized. Because we are using chicken, you likely won't have to drain any fat or juice.
- Add the KNORR homestyle stock pod, Worcestershire sauce and pepper to your meat mixture.
- Then shake in 2 tbsp of flour and combine it all until it’s a little thick. We want to cook this, still over medium heat until it’s thickened.
- Let's add our milk and stir it all together until we have a thick gravy like consistency with our meat mixture. Season with pepper, taste, adjust if needed. Take off the heat.
TIME TO BUILD
Spray a 9×13 baking dish and add the first layer of meat mixture
- Next up: scatter the veggies layer, then top with mashed potatoes. Drizzle with a little extra melted butter, option to sprinkle with dried dill, then bake at 350F for about 45 minutes uncovered until everything is bubbling and golden!
want more yummy meals?
Try our Sheet Pan Fajitas, so good!
SOO GOOD! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!