The yummiest cupcake baked into an ice cream cone, then topped with fluffy whipped frosting. This classic dessert treat is a guaranteed make again!
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE:
stand mixer or electric mixer
*Some of these products contain an affiliate link to Amazon. By no means do you need these exact products but we wanted to provide links. As an affiliate I earn a small commission if you purchase through one of my links at absolutely no additional cost to you.
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
If you grew up a few decades ago, you might remember kids birthday parties all having (or wanting) these glorious cupcakes, baked into an ice cream cone! Ice cream cone cupcakes were basically the showstoppers. Well we are recreating these with a scratch made glorious vanilla cake batter, and a whipped buttercream for the ages. Say goodbye to boxed cake and hello to birthday magic!
Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
- 9x 13 pan
- Stand mixer or electric mixer
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 c granulated white sugar
- 1/2 c softened room temperature butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1/2 c butter, room temperature
- 1/2 c shortening, room temperature
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp cream
- pinch salt
ICE CREAM CONES
- 12 flat bottom ice cream cones
- various sprinkles
MAKE THE CUPCAKES
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Completely cover a 9×13 baking dish in foil (heavy duty works best). With a paring knife carefully cut 2 rows of 6 small "x" so you can carefully push 12 ice cream cones in. This is what's going to anchor them standing up, while they bake in the oven. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl using hand mixers, or a stand mixer cream together the sugar and butter for a few minutes until it’s totally smooth.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Finally add milk and continue to blend until the batter is smooth.
- Carefully spoon batter into ice cream cones that are standing up in the baking dish. We want to fill them 1/2 of the way up the cone.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
MAKE THE WHIPPED FROSTING
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, cream the butter and shortening until it’s super smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and mix completely before adding the next cup. Continue this for another 3-4 minutes until everything is combined and smooth. Add your vanilla and pinch of salt and blend again.
- Slowly drizzle in 1 tbsp of cream, this may be all you'll need but you can judge.
- Once your frosting is the whipped consistency you want, place into a piping bag or a large storage bag with the corner cut off, "make shift" piping bag.
- Let cupcakes fully cool in the baking dish and pipe frosting on like soft serve ice cream, then decorate as you wish!
want more din-spiration?
This is where you add hyperlinks to other recipe posts.
SOO GOOD! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!