Huevos Rancheros, yes please!
The name huevos rancheros has a translation of “ranchers eggs”. Rural Mexican farms would take a mid morning break to fuel up, this would be the perfect dish! Creamy perfectly fried eggs, on top of a warm spicy salsa and black beans. We’ve twisted it up with some crumbled sausage, then topped with creamy avocado, feta or cotija and cilantro! ENJOY!
How About Breakfast for Dinner?
When was the last time you broke the rules and made breakfast for dinner? I love to do it at least once a month, if not once a week! Did you know that’s the trend we’ve been following all along with our good friends at Egg Farmers of Alberta? #breaktherules
Huevos Rancheros are such a fun way to get DINNER + BREAKFAST all in one! The bonus is you can make super fun heroes or subs the next day with the leftovers! Or nachos! What about on rice? Yes please!
MIX IT UP!
You can mix it up and add SO many fun additions to the basic Huevos Rancheros. Start with eggs, then add:
- Extra veggies + skip adding sausage to make it vegetarian!
- Add a sweet caramelized onion layer to the eggy goodness
- In this recipe below, we made a quick homemade “refried” beans with fresh squeezes of lime juice.
- Next level beans? Start by pan frying 3-4 slices of chopped bacon, then drain most of the fat and add a chopped shallot to the pan, or white onion. Once your onion starts to soften, add 1/2 cup of chicken or veggie broth, your black beans then a stick blender to puree. SO GOOD!
- Mix up your cheese: Top with cotija cheese, feta cheese, ricotta silata, or oaxaca cheese to get that crumbly goodness
- We love using crumbled cooked sausage, but if you can’t find chorizo, use any kind of sausage you want! *again, YOUR rules! Even bacon! NO RULES!
- Cilantro fan? Not a chance? Skip it- or add fresh parsley! Ps if you don’t like cilantro, or think it tastes like soap, it’s actually in your DNA, PURE SCIENCE!
- 2 large eggs per person
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 small tortillas per person flour or corn
- 1/2 lb crumbled sausage (any flavour) **if you can find chorizo even better!
- 1 c cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 2 stalks green onion
- 1-2 tsp ground chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 small clove garlic
- olive oil, salt, pepper
- 1 c black beans
- 1 lime
- olive oil, salt, pepper
- 1/2 c crumbled cotija or feta cheese optional
- 1 avocado optional
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro optional/can also use parsley
MAKE THE SAUCE
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the sausage and cook until crumbly. Add the peppers, then the cumin and chili and then add the diced tomatoes and heat through.
MAKE THE BEANS
- Drain the beans, then add to a frying pan with olive oil. Heat the beans through, smashing some of them with a fork, then add some lime juice, salt and pepper to taste.
FRY THE TORTILLAS in a little oil, set aside.
FRY THE EGGS in olive oil and dots of butter, salt and pepper.
I would LOVE to learn more eggy recipes!
So glad you asked! To learn MORE recipes and awesome eggy facts, please visit our friends at Egg Farmers of Alberta today!
Enjoy! Meg xo
*this is a sponsored post. I am grateful to partner with The Egg Farmers of Alberta, who represent the province’s more than 170 registered egg farming families, who are dedicated to providing Albertans with a stable supply of fresh, high quality, nutritious, locally produced eggs.
want more din-spiration?
SO EASY and SO YUMMY! Enjoy! Meg xo
WANT TO COOK WITH MEG again? Head to our Cooking Classes to see all the different options! LIVE specialty classes via ZOOM for all ages, COOK AT YOUR OWN PACE packs that allow you to cook completely on your schedule, as well as LOTS of classes and mini camps for your KIDS + TEENS too! Switch up your meal routine and add some new recipes to the rotation! Get ready to have fun learning! I can’t wait to see you back again!