When was the last time you felt WHISKED away to another world, when it comes to food? Make this traditional RAGU BOLOGNESE, with beef, pork or veal and pancetta and instantly be transported to a villa in Italy. YES PLEASE! Serve this with a thick cut pasta, something like a linguini, or tagliatelle will hold up with the heartiness of the sauce. SO AMAZINGLY flavour packed! If you want to take it a step further, make your own pasta! Just be sure you have a great pasta roller!
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 6 oz ground beef lean works well
- 6 oz ground veal or pork *I use pork
- 2-3 oz pancetta 6 strips of bacon if you don't have pancetta
- 1/2 c red wine dry side is best
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 c beef stock chicken stocks works too
- 1/2 c whole milk START WITH 1/4 c
- salt + pepper
- YOUR FAVE PASTA
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat.
- Dice and add your onions, celery and carrots. Cook these until they're soft – about 6 mins.
- Add beef, veal/pork, and diced pancetta to saute for about 15 mins. Make a drink, relax!
- Now it's time to add the wine. HAVE ANOTHER DRINK. Let the wine come to a boil for about 1 minute, stirring often and scraping up all the little bits in the pan. BITS = FLAVOUR.
- Add 2 1/2 cups stock and your tomato paste; stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to very low and gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavors meld, THE LONGER YOU CAN GIVE THIS THE BETTER —
- Warm the milk in a separate pot then slowly add to your sauce. You want to now cover everything with a lid, and let it do it's thing for as long as you can possibly stand it! EAT AND ENJOY with pasta!
Want more din-spiration?
Now that you’ve tried the RAGU BOLOGNESE, why don’t we stay in Italy and try my Chicken Parmesan with Simmer Sauce! Who says we aren’t able to travel right now! PS some of these culinary vacations are ON MY BUCKET LIST!
*this post contains affiliate links