Truly the most flavourful, sugar kissed, buttery banana muffin you will EVER eat! Hope you enjoy!
the best Banana muffins
The best banana muffins? Well I have to say yes. These have been in the works for over 5 years and I think I have finally perfected the recipe. What started as a simple banana muffin recipe got tweaked, altered, things added, things removed and has merged into banana muffin HEAVEN. The bottom line, I have always loved banana bread. I remember as a kid that would be the one thing I march straight towards at a bake sale. Not a cupcake, not pie, but a piece of pre-buttered wrapped in cling wrap banana bread. The darker the better. Sweet, fragrant and HOMEMADE. Is there anything better? I think not!
What Makes These Banana muffins So Special?
Ready for my secret? Pure almond extract. And when I have them on hand, white chocolate chips. The chocolate chips are not mandatory, but if you want to get the desired result I wish you to have, please use good almond extract. I use a bottle that I grabbed, also at Winners. It’s almost like a baking paste or gel and it’s super thick concentrate. I want to say I measure, but that would be lying. I just let a little drop fall into the batter right before the final mix. The last thing I do is mix up the sugar and use one half white, and one half dark brown. I have tried all of one kind but this seems to just be the magic ratio.
I hope you love these as much as I do! I make minis as you can see, then before you know it, I’ve eaten the whole loaf. HEY! They’re mini!
TOOLS: Here is the mini loaf pan I use when I make them into little loaves!
For another glorious muffin that I’ve been working on FOREVER…try my Meg’s Morning Muffins! Y-U-M.
Enjoy! Meg xo
The BEST Banana Muffins
- 2 c mashed bananas works out to be about 5
- 1/2 c melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp good almond extract vanilla works too if you don't have almond
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp melted butter to brush in pans
- 2 c flour
- 1 c sugar (I use 1/2c brown, 1/2 c white)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c white chocolate chips or milk or dark chocolate – all optional
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brush your 12 muffin tins with melted butter. Or mini loaf pans. *You can use muffin liners if you wish!
- Mash your bananas, still leaving a few little chunks. Add your melted butter, sugar, vanilla, almond extract and eggs.
- Add to the wet, your flour, salt, baking powder + soda.
- Mix ONLY until everything is combined and you don't see any big patches of flour.
- Let the mixture sit for a few minutes, until you see it start to puff up a bit, this means your baking powder is working.
- Fill up your tins or loaf pans with even amounts of batter, and pop in oven for ABOUT 25 mins for muffins, little longer for mini loaves. **Oven temps will vary.
- Let sit in tins for a few minutes then take out and let cool on a rack. Serve with maple or honey butter! Enjoy! Meg xo